Welcome to sojournmusic.com’s weekly worship music set list review. You can find links to the set lists of this church and many other churches each week in the Worship Blog Carnival at theworshipcommunity.com. And you can learn about some of the songs we sing at Sojourn Gathered each week in advance of the Sunday service by reading my “Getting Ready For Sunday” post each Thursday at Sojourn’s online journal, TravelBlog.
This set list comes from the morning services at the Midtown campus, and begins with the first song following our Call To Worship. Slight variations may have taken place during the other services.
1. Refuge by Sojourn’s Neil Robins, adapted from Isaac Watts’s Psalm 31, Part 1. You can hear this on our latest record, Over The Grave: The Hymns Of Isaac Watts, Volume One. Download the chord sheet from that page here at sojournmusic.com .
I know my days are in Your hands
Though I draw near to dust,
You are the God in whom I trust –
You are my refuge
2. My Rock And My Redeemer by Sojourn’s Rebecca Dennison. You can download the chord sheet from our These Things I Remember music page. This is a good song of confession in our inadequacy, and the all-sufficiency of our Lord:
You are my rock and my redeemer,
My refuge sure and strong
My faithful, loving Father,
You are my Shelter in the storm
3. Jesus Paid It All by Alvina M. Hall and John T. Grape. This gospel classic of the 19th century is famous in its simple declaration of the gospel:
Jesus paid it all. All to Him I owe
Sin had left a crimson stain … He washed it white as snow
4. Thy Mercy My God by John Stocker, with music by Sandra McCracken. This is one of my favorite modern hymn adaptations. We used it as our Communion Hymn this week, for which it is well suited:
Great Father of mercies, Thy goodness I own
In the covenant love of Thy crucified Son.
All praise to the Spirit, Whose whisper divine
Seals mercy and pardon and righteousness mine.
5. Approach My Soul The Mercy Seat by John Newton, melody by Sojourn East Campus Director Jamie Barnes. You can hear Jamie’s acoustic demo for “Approach My Soul The Mercy Seat” at this link, or you can download it from the Sojournmusic.com Radio podcast on iTunes.
Approach my soul,the mercy seat
Where Holy One and helpless meet
There fall before my Judges’ ?eet
6. Before The Throne Of God Above hymn text by Charitee Lees Bancroft, melody by Vikki Cook. We recorded “Before The Throne Of God Above” on our 2007 record, Before The Throne. We sang this together as the final “sending” song, before the church gathered becomes the church scattered. No matter where we go, we’re always before God’s throne:
Before the throne of God above,
I have a strong and perfect plea,
A great high priest whose name is Love,
Who ever lives and pleas for me.
My name is graven on His hands,
My name is written on His heart.
I know that while in heaven He stands
No tongue can bid me thence depart.