Welcome to the sojournmusic.com weekly set list review. You can find links to the set lists of this church and many other churches each week in the Worship Blog Carnival at theworshipcommunity.com. You can learn about some of the songs we sing at Sojourn Gathered each week in advance of the Sunday service by reading my “Getting Ready For Sunday” post each week at Sojourn’s online journal, TravelBlog. Photos this week by Dan Canales.
1. We Are Changed by me (Bobby Gilles), Neil Robins and Dave Moisan. You can view the lyrics/chord sheet for “We Are Changed” on our Over The Grave: The Hymns Of Isaac Watts, Volume One page. Hear a sample on our iTunes preview page. (The East campus and the evening services in Germantown substituted this for the hymn “Give Reviving”).
2. Gifted Response by Matt Redman. This is one of our favorite response songs to the Call To Worship at Sojourn Gathered.
And we’ll sing the glory of Your name
Celebrate the glories of Your grace
We will worship You, We will worship You
And we’ll make Your praise so glorious
Singing songs of everlasting praise
We will worship You, we will worship You
As a deer pants for water, so my soul longs for you
And when I survey Your splendor, You so faithfully renew
Like a bed of rest for my fainting flesh
I am satisfied in you
4. Deep In Our Hearts originally by Isaac Watts, arranged and given a new melody by Sojourn’s Mike Cosper, Brooks Ritter and Joel Gerdis. You’ll hear this one on Volume Two of our Isaac Watts project, later this year.
Deep in our hearts let us record
The deepest sufferings of our Lord
Behold the rising billows roll
to overwhelm His holy soul
In long complaints He spends His breath
While hosts of hell and powers of death
And all the sons of malice join
To execute their cursed design
5. Beneath The Cross Of Jesus by Keith and Kristyn Getty. We sang this as our communion hymn of the week. The lyrics were especially poignant as we walked forward, together in lines, and waited to take our turn to receive the bread and cup:
Beneath the cross of Jesus
His family is my own—
Once strangers chasing selfish dreams,
Now one through grace alone.
How could I now dishonor
The ones that You have loved?
Beneath the cross of Jesus
See the children called by God.
6. In The Shadow Of The Glorious Cross by Sojourn’s Brooks Ritter and Rebecca Elliott. You can read the lyrics and listen to the mp3 of this song of dedication and assurance on the Before The Throne page here at sojournmusic.com. Also check it out at Facebook.com/sojournmusic.
7. Abiding City by Sandra McCracken, from her record The Builder and The Architect. Right now she’s recording a follow-up to this hymn project, which I’m sure will yield another bumper crop. Abiding City is a good song to use at the end of a service. You can hear over half of the song, and read Sandra’s introduction to “Abiding City” at the Builder and The Architect link (check out all the other songs on that CD from the same link).
Worship band for the 9:30 and 11:15am services at The 930:
Megan Shaffer — vocals
Dave Moisan — vocals and keyboard
Mike Cosper — slide guitar
Justin Shaffer — keyboard
Dony Erwin — bass guitar
Ryan Harvey — drums
Worship band for the 10am service at Sojourn East:
Rebecca Elliott — vocals and keyboard
Jamie Barnes — vocals, guitar
Christi Osterday — cello
Bryon Shrock — bass guitar
Andy Meyers — drums
Worship band for the 5 and 7pm services at The 930:
Anna Young — vocals
Brooks Ritter — vocals and guitar
Lindsey Lewis — vocals
Brittany Jarboe — cello
Dan Cassin — keyboard
Charlie Lucas — bass guitar
Miguel Angel Monroy — drums